Key Role Objective
The principal function of this position is to drive our fleet of light good vehicles and vans to agreed standards to deliver plant, equipment and materials to and from our clients, suppliers and WJ yards and offices within the UK and Ireland following all Health and Safety (H&S) requirements. The secondary function is to assist an existing site team in our dewatering system installation and demobilisation activities and be one of the company’s trained and qualified lifting supervisors WJ Groundwater offers an extensive training and development program which will commence after individuals complete their probationary period. Company Induction, Initial basic training & PPE issue will be provided from commencement of your employment
Reports / Responsible to
Yard Manager (Line Manager)
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Primarily operate and drive our DAF 18T flatbed rigid truck c/w Hiab arm including other general driving duties, observing current legal and best practices
- Responsible for the basic maintenance (i.e. daily checks) of the vehicles, i.e. carrying out pre-use checks prior to using any equipment vehicle complying with appropriate documentation and procedures
- Responsible for securing load with appropriate restraints and ensuring weight limits are not exceeded, ensuring that loads are safe and damage free and that all company procedures/Safe Systems of Work are followed.
- Undertake and record pre-delivery, en route and post-delivery vehicle inspections as required
- Maintain all vehicle log books including digital tachographs where appropriate.
- Ensure CPC modular training records are kept up to date
- Communicate with Operational Managers and Yard Managers as well as customer and WJ site staff, by phone and email regarding day to day itinerary
- Abide by all road and traffic legislation, customer designated traffic routes, RHA and FORS rules and codes of conduct complying with all EU drivers’ hours/tacho-graph/WTD regulations. (Including GB Domestic where appropriate).
- Report all mechanical problems or vehicle defects/damage to your line manager immediately including any H&S issues.
- Maintain and organise repairs where required for truck and associated equipment
- Keep vehicle tidy and in good working order
- Ensure all lifting equipment and accessories are regularly inspected and maintained in accordance with LOLER regulations and WJ procedures
- Ensure that correct company uniform and PPE (clean and in good repair) is worn and all H&S rules are adhered to, complying with other sites rules and maintaining high standards of hygiene and housekeeping whilst maintaining a professional standard when representing WJ.
- Operate in accordance with WJ’s policies, procedures and requests from Management
- Check/complete/retain and submit all load documentation and POD’s ensuring that the returned goods process is followed at all times
To be responsible for own health and safety and that of colleagues, in accordance with current construction guidance and relevant national legislation. To undertake such other duties as may be reasonably expected.
- On occasions you will be required to assist in yard and site duties – preparation and maintenance of plant and equipment, loading/unloading of vehicles, installation and connection of dewatering plant.
- On occasions, nights out may be required in line with operational requirements.
The board of WJ Groundwater Limited is committed to the implementation and certification of an Integrated Management System to ISO9001, ISO14001 and OHSAS18001.
- Assist in the development of the Integrated Management System.
- Administer IMS procedures and ensure objectives and targets are met.
Qualifications and Experience
A motivated and hardworking individual with a “get stuck in” attitude is essential for this position.
- Valid HGV class II category C licence for rigid vehicles up to 32 MAM is required along with a current CPC card and Digital tacho card, other lorry loader qualification – NPORS/ALLMI
- Lorry loader qualifications required – CPCS/NPORS.ALLMI
- Maximum 6 points on licence is acceptable
- Experience of keeping accurate records
- Must have experience of driving in and around the London Area
- Candidates with a non-GB driving licence and who live in GB must provide evidence of a GB Certificate of registration, which can be obtained free from the DVLA on submission of Form D9
Counterbalance forklift experience desired but not necessary, CSCS basic site operative competency card is desirable but not essential. The position requires the candidate to provide confirmation of right to work in the EU
Technical Skills and Behavioural Competencies
- Excellent driving skills.
- Ability to work alone and as part of a team.
- Good customer service and communication skills.
- Health and Safety conscious. Demonstrate WJ company values.
- Ability to complete record sheets and paperwork accurately.
- Reasonable level of fitness to work with loads.
- Trustworthy and reliable.
- Demonstrate a reasonable standard of numeracy & literacy.
- Ability to read, write, understand and communicate in English.
The role is driving based out of our yard facilities, but you will be expected to deliver and collect plant, equipment and materials from our head office, customer/supplier sites and office/yards as required.
- Flexibility to work away from home often at short notice
- Comfortable using the sleeper cab facilities within the truck
- Must be comfortable working alone for long periods of time
- Must be compliant with drivers hours and working time regulations legislation
- Must have experience of loading/unloading and delivering goods to customer sites with experience of multi-drop deliveries
The role is driving based therefore you may be subject to long periods of driving at all times of the day, in all road conditions and environments.
All drivers must be medically fit and pass a critical worker medical on start of employment and annually during term of employment